Lumbar spine pain is a very common symptom. It can occur for a variety of reasons. For some patients who have lower back pain, home treatment becomes a priority.
There is a group of patients who are reluctant to visit a doctor and do not believe in traditional methods of treatment. They are sure that folk remedies can relieve pain in the lower back.
Few people know what to do if the lower back hurts a lot, how to treat the problem area at home. Most people refuse to visit a doctor because of expensive medical services, others prefer traditional, proven methods.
Thinking about how to cure a problematic back area without leaving home can be quite justified. Self-medication is possible provided that the diagnosis is reliably known.
Temporary alleviation of acute symptoms will not solve the problem, and prolonged development of the disease will cause the transition to a chronic form. However, without prior examination, it is better not to experiment.
Lumbar pain syndrome is more common in middle-aged and elderly people, but this symptom is also known to young people. Against the background of excessive physical exertion, uncomfortable movement or after hypothermia, a person may begin to feel lumbago and acutely feel the pain syndrome, which in the language of the doctor is usually called "lumbonia".
If you have acute lower back pain and you will not be able to see a doctor soon, then it would be good to know what to do with this condition at home. Of course, if the lower back is caught, then before starting treatment at home, it would be correct to find out what probably caused it.
Lumbar pain syndromes are divided into acute, chronic and radiation. In addition, they can be permanent or periodic, primary or secondary, so they can be treated in different ways.
Home treatment for lower back pain should have 3 main goals: relieving inflammation, relieving pain, and calming. Such therapy at home does not mean that the patient will use only folk remedies. As a rule, patients combine medication, exercise therapy, massage and traditional medicine. All this helps in fast and efficient treatment of the lower back at home.
If the patient knows for sure about his pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, then he can try the following therapeutic scheme:
- Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory injections, tablets, ointments, patches, rectal suppositories.
- In parallel with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants in the form of injections and tablets are prescribed. For back pain caused by muscle spasms, they are indispensable.
- In order to restore the damaged tissues of the affected area of the back, a course of vitamin B is recommended.
Most often, the described treatment tactics can effectively eliminate lumbar pain at home. But if no positive dynamics is observed when using the described scheme at home, regional anesthesia is sometimes used.
As practice shows, patients who have pain in the lower back do not really like injections or tablets, but more often try to help themselves with various ointments. However, it should be understood that some ointments, which relieve pain, do not solve the main problem, although complex therapy usually includes them.
All fats in this direction can be divided into several groups:
- based on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Combination drugs not only relieve pain, but also improve tissue regeneration, relieve inflammation and dissolve blood clots.
- Irritating, distracting and warming.
- Homeopathic ointments. They improve metabolism, have an anesthetic effect.
- Chondroprotective. Representatives of this group are characterized by the fact that they slow down degenerative processes and contribute to the renewal of cartilage tissue.
The patient will be able to choose an effective ointment for treatment at home only when he is correctly diagnosed.
After the relief of acute pain has occurred, it would be good to do special exercises to treat different parts of the back. But an experienced physiotherapist should choose therapeutic exercises for back pain.
Home conditions allow therapeutic exercises, but the patient must perform them very delicately. There should be no significant discomfort or pain during exercise. If an exercise causes pain, then you need to revise the elements of its implementation or abandon it altogether.
For back pain, massage is indicated only during remission. In addition, it is important to choose the right duration, intensity and frequency of massage effects. In the case of pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, doctors recommend giving preference to vacuum massage with cups, relaxing or shiatsu finger massage.
And if the patient is interested in how to alleviate acute lower back pain at home, then masseurs can teach him how to perform acupressure. In addition, applicators, various rollers or belts are very suitable for back pathologies.
Traditional treatments for lower back pain are very popular with patients because they are simple and the ingredients for their recipes are readily available. Even if it is not possible to completely cure the back with folk remedies alone, they can significantly improve the patient's condition. The doctor is usually willing to meet the patient, combining traditional therapy with non-traditional.
The first thing that comes to a patient’s mind when thinking about how to treat a back at home is rubbing. Due to this manipulation, the healing process is accelerated, because good rubbing increases blood circulation in the tissue.
- rubbing vodka with honey and radish juice (1: 2: 3). The finished product is stored in the refrigerator. Use well-sealed porcelain or glassware.
- Rubbing from Adam's root with vodka. In 500 ml of vodka, add 200 grams of grated Adam's root, mix well, and then insist for up to 5 days. A dark container is suitable for this.
- Multi-component rubbing on "Triple" cologne. To prepare it you will need: 2 bottles of valerian tincture, 5 peas of red pepper, 2 bottles of 3% iodine, as well as a bottle of cologne. All components are mixed, shaken well, then insist for one day.
Such a procedure effectively relieves pain in the spine, if, after applying rubbing on the problem area, you wrap this place with a woolen scarf all night.
Many patients were able to quickly heal their backs at home with the help of compresses.
Some patients approved the following:
- a poultice of grated horseradish or radish. Herbal raw materials will not cause stinging if mixed with sour cream. The resulting mixture is applied in a thick layer on the problem area and covered with a towel.
- Mustard powder compression. Dilute dry mustard with warm water to obtain the consistency of low-fat sour cream. The sore spot is abundantly smeared with mustard and isolated. But the procedure does not take longer than 5 minutes, in order to avoid burns.
- Compression test. Sour dough is applied to the sore back over a thick layer of gauze and such a compress is left overnight. The procedure is repeated for 10 consecutive days.
Compression, as a folk remedy for back and lower back pain, should not cause severe discomfort to the patient. Only mild temperatures or mild tingling are acceptable.
Tinctures, infusions and decoctions
In case of acute back pain, patients practice taking infusions, tinctures and decoctions orally.
The following proved to be good:
- complex infusion. Add 3 tablespoons of chopped elecampane root and 1 tablespoon of honey to 100 grams of yeast. Pour the mixture of boiled water, leaving 5 cm to the top (use a three-liter jar). Punctured rubber gloves are put on the neck and the agent is left to wander for 1 month. Take 100 ml in the morning and in the evening.
- Petroleum tincture. It is prepared from crushed root and 0, 5 liters of vodka. Insist the medicine in a cool and dark place for 4 weeks. Take 1 teaspoon 3 times. This tincture can effectively solve back pain at home.
- Basil decoction. Take 200 ml of water to boil 10 basil leaves. When about 100 ml of liquid remains, remove the product from the heat, cool and add a pinch of salt. Take 1-2 times a day.
In general, all home oral medications are best taken 30 minutes before meals or 1 hour after.
So that you don't have to think about how to quickly alleviate acute back pain at home, it's important to follow these recommendations:
- perform a preventive set of stretching exercises.
- Protect your spine while sitting and standing (guideline - ears, shoulders, hips and knees should be in line).
- Place a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side and below your knees when sleeping on your back.
- You should not wear shoes with high heels or flat soles, it is better to choose a "golden" middle.
- Track your weight. To do this, you need to eat right and lead an active lifestyle.
- Get rid of bad habits (smoking, alcohol abuse). Tobacco smoking contributes to the development of osteoporosis and increases sensitivity to pain.
- The diet should be balanced. Adequate amounts of Ca, P, vitamin D should be taken.
- Try to maintain a stable emotional state, avoid stressful situations.
Pain syndrome can greatly affect the quality of life and reduce the patient's ability to work. But it is quite possible to deal with this problem without leaving home if you use an integrated approach and do not forget to consult with experts.