Osteochondrosis is a destructive change in the structure of the spine, especially in the discs between the vertebrae and the tissues. It is manifested by flattening of the disc, loss of moisture in the joints and the inability to perform a cushioning and moving function. There are cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and combined types of pathology.
Why is cervical osteochondrosis scary?
Cervical osteochondrosis of the spine occurs with destructive changes in the cervical spine. Which leads to the destruction of the intervertebral discs in the neck, constriction of the nerve endings and accompanied by severe pain.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is the most dangerous type of disease in this group. Because this section contains a huge number of veins, capillaries and important arteries that supply the brain with blood and oxygen.
This pathology cannot go unnoticed, because it has been accompanied by painful syndromes almost from the very beginning of its development. If this disease is not treated, it can cause serious disorders in the work of the whole body, especially the spine. Sometimes untimely treatment can be fatal if destruction affects important arteries.
Can osteochondrosis of the cervical spine be treated at home?
There are many differences of opinion in the use of self-medication and folk remedies. However, when it comes to the treatment of osteochondrosis, experts here agree that it is not only possible, but also plays a major role in the patient's recovery.
Self-control and self-discipline to take the necessary measures play an important role in home care.
However, it should be borne in mind that the treating physician must agree and approve the entire home treatment complex. The specialist will help you choose a comprehensive therapy for home treatment, because a systemic approach is needed in the fight against cervical osteochondrosis.
All home treatment should be aimed not only at eliminating the signs of the disease, but also at combating its causes.
Therefore, we can say with certainty that home treatment is not only possible, but also useful if you choose the right methods.
How effective is home treatment
With proper adherence to the recommendations of the attending physician, treatment at home helps to achieve positive dynamics much faster.
Home treatment of the disease, as well as prevention, is an affordable, inexpensive and fairly simple method. And the effect of such treatment is very great.
The benefits of home treatment include:
- Various methods.
- Ability to change methods based on their efficiency.
- The use of folk remedies gives less stress to the body than drugs.
Methods of treating cervical osteochondrosis at home
Home treatment aims to fulfill the following tasks:
- Elimination of pain syndrome.
- Improving blood circulation in the affected areas and the brain.
- Improve metabolic processes in joint and bone tissues.
Home therapy methods include:
- Neck gymnastics.
- Use of drugs.
- Acupuncture applicator.
- Folk remedies:
- Paraffin applicators.
Neck gymnastics involves fairly simple exercises and is available to everyone. It helps speed up the healing process and is aimed at relieving pain, relaxing the neck muscles and stretching the compressed ligaments.
Neck gymnastics includes the following exercises:
- The head is tilted in different directions.
- Rotational movements of the head clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Tilt your head back to the extreme limits and tilt your head forward until your chin is resting.
- Movements of straight arms in a circle.
- Circular movements of the shoulder girdle.
All movements must be performed smoothly, without jerking. The load must be gradually increased. Gymnastics is performed systematically and only in the absence of pain symptoms.
Self-massage helps to improve blood circulation, relieve pain, improve metabolic processes in tissues, relax muscles and relieve blood pressure.
The massage should be performed from top to bottom, from the center to the edges, with warm hands and only finger pads. It is performed only in the absence of pain and inflammation and excludes sudden movements and the use of force.
- Sit with your elbows on the table.
- Find the painful area with your fingers.
- Knead it, massage in circular motions.
- Rub and finish by stroking.
- Stretch your neck on both sides for ten minutes.
- Massage the back of the head with your thumbs for five minutes.
Nutrition and proper nutrition have a number of tasks, among which are:
- Restoration of vitamin-mineral balance.
- Limit fluid intake.
- Maintaining optimal weight, which in turn helps reduce stress on the spine.
- Collagen replacement in the body.
When following a diet, it is essential that the diet is varied and low in calories. Meals should be taken 5-6 times a day in small meals.
The diet should be enriched with vitamins, calcium and include natural chondroprotectors. This requires the use of large amounts of vegetables and fruits, as well as dairy products, fish, eggs.
Prohibited foods include:
- Coffee and strong tea.
- Fast food.
- Smoked meat and food enriched with salt.
Use of drugs
The use of drugs in home therapy is aimed at relieving pain and alleviating the general condition.
How medications are prescribed:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Ointments and gels.
- Vitamin complexes (vitamin B in tablets and injections).
Acupuncture with an applicator
An applicator is used to perform such an effective method as acupuncture at home. The masseur with needles is attached to a roller or a belt with fasteners. By absorbing the needles into the affected area, the applicator helps increase blood circulation and affects the active areas of the neck.
When using this method, it is necessary to consult a doctor who will indicate the duration of exposure.
Folk remedies are also widely used as a method of treating pathology. There are several types of folk remedies:
Wraps. There are many options for making linings. These include:
- Kerosene coating. . . Helps relieve pain quickly. To do this, it is necessary to soak the fabric in kerosene and apply to the affected area, closing it with a bag for no longer than 3 hours.
- Potato and honey compress. . . To prepare it, you will need fifty grams of grated potatoes and 50 grams of honey. The ingredients are mixed and spread on a natural cloth and then applied to the sore spot for forty-five minutes. Helps relieve pain in three days.
- Horseradish leaf compress. . . For cooking, it is necessary to dip young horseradish leaves in boiling water for a few seconds and immediately attach them to the neck, cover with a bag and tie with a warm bandage and keep as long as possible. It is desirable to apply a compress at night. This compress helps relieve inflammation and helps restore mobility of the cervical spine.
- Alcohol wrap. . . You will need 300 milliliters of medical alcohol, ten milliliters of iodine and camphor alcohol, as well as ten crushed analgin tablets. All ingredients are mixed and applied to the sore spot.
- Radish compresses. . . The radish must be rubbed on a fine grater, placed between two not thick cloths and fastened with polyethylene to the neck as long as there is sufficient possibility to withstand it.
Paraffin applicators. As a folk remedy for pain in cervical osteochondrosis, a paraffin applicator helps well. To do this, you need to melt the wax or paraffin and cool to the desired temperature. Melted paraffin is applied to the cervical spine twice a week.
- Decoction of sunflower roots. . . To prepare it, you will need washed, dried, crushed plant roots. 150 grams of crushed root must be filled with 2700 ml. water and cook for 30 minutes. Take half an hour after a meal for a month.
- Broth needle. . . Young spruce or pine needles in the amount of 250 grams per liter of water are boiled for half an hour. It is worth taking twice a day, after 8 hours, half an hour after a meal, for a month.
- Dandelion root decoction. . . The root of the plant is chopped and water is added in a ratio of 250 ml. 15 grams of root. Cook in a water bath for 15 minutes and infuse for an hour. Then filter the soup and take 75 milliliters before meals.
- Herbal decoction. . . It is prepared from a collection of dandelion leaves, thyme, chamomile flowers, calendula, yarrow and St. John's wort. All ingredients require two tablespoons. Stir everything, then pour two tablespoons of the mixture with a liter of boiling water and insist. Take three times daily before meals, 50 grams, for three weeks.
Rubbing. Rubbing, like other folk remedies, is widespread among home methods of fighting the disease. There are several options for them:
- Rubbing the stems and flowers of the mother and stepmother. . . 20 grams of plants and flowers must be filled with 320 ml. alcohol and store for a month in a dark, cool room. It then filters and rubs the painful areas of the neck.
- Horseradish rub. . . Horseradish juice must be combined in equal parts with alcohol and rubbed on painful areas, avoiding the lymph nodes.
- Elderberry rub. . . Pour one hundred grams of elderberry with 500 grams of vodka and insist for a week, after which rub the cervical region.
Cervical osteochondrosis is easily curable at an early stage of its development. Therefore, using the doctor's recommendations and the systematic implementation of home therapy, you can easily get rid of this disease.